A few years ago, we introduced a special feature called Six Sinister Questions, for which we stalked a select group of guests until they answered six of the most “sinister questions spewed from the inner bowels of hell.” This year, thanks to the encouragement of clubhouse crew member John MacLeod, we’re resurrecting the feature…and conjuring a seventh sinister question! Oh, the doomy doom of dooms!—the horror of horrors!—what have we doooooone?!
*clears throat* Yes. Okay. Now that’s out of the way, I’d like to introduce this week’s guest interviewee, Kyle Strahm (Image Comics’ SPREAD).
HOW WOULD YOU SURVIVE AN ALIEN INVASION?
KYLE STRAHM: More like Tom Jones and less like Indiana Jones.
WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE HALLOWEEN CANDY?
KS: My favorite candies I associate with Halloween are those brown peanut butter things wrapped in black and orange paper. They don’t taste very good.
WHAT ARE YOUR TOP 5 HORROR MOVIES AND/OR TV SHOWS) TO WATCH DURING HALLOWEEN?
KS: Let’s see…
- There was a Growing Pains Halloween Special I taped from TV when I was a kid where Kirk Cameron picks up a girl on the side of the road on Halloween night and takes her to a diner full of dead celebrities. The spooky twist is that the celebrities and the girl are all ghosts and the diner never existed! The girl vanishes and Kirk Cameron is left behind. I haven’t seen it in years, but it’s the one that pops in my head any time someone mentions Halloween TV shows.
- There’s a Quantum Leap episode called “Boogieman” where everyone around Sam starts dying one by one. It turns out the Devil himself has leaped into Al because he didn’t like those guys putting right what he made wrong. There’s a good bit at the beginning where an old man rambles on about “Ol’ Scratch” and foretells the plot of the episode before falling out a window to his doom. Also, this episode features a young Stevie King and his dog, Cujo.
- I always watch Disney’s The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Though I’ve come to realize over the years the only likable characters in it are Brom Bones and the horse.
- There’s an episode of Married…With Children where Al Bundy is visited by Death in the guise of Peggy. She tells him he’ll die at midnight unless one of the other Bundy family members at the party next door proclaim aloud that they need him. Special guest stars: The Village People.
- The Skeleton Dance deserves a viewing. They don’t make them like they used to.
NAME ONE URBAN LEGEND/MONSTER STORY THAT TERRIFIED YOU AS A KID.
KS: I remember a camp story about a lady who had worked in the cafeteria many years before who suffered horrible burns when a boiling pot of water was poured on her face. She wandered the woods, disfigured and angry, and would sometimes stop by to murder campers.
IF YOU COULD BE HAUNTED BY ANY FAMOUS PERSON, WHO WOULD IT BE – AND WHY?
KS: I’d be haunted by Zig Ziglar so he can kick my ass out of bed every morning.
WHAT ARE THREE SONGS THAT ARE A MUST FOR YOUR HALLOWEEN PLAYLIST?
THE CLOCK STRIKES MIDNIGHT AND EVERYONE AT THE PARTY IS TRANSFORMED INTO WHATEVER THEIR COSTUME MAY BE – WHAT OUTFIT WOULD YOU MOST REGRET BEING CAUGHT IN?