This has to one of THE coolest toy commercials ever!
While this Toy Story “toymation,” released early last week, may look like another fan made love letter to one of the best animated franchises in the past decade it’s actually a cleverly produced advertisement by Mattel and Disney/Pixar to promote their new line of Toy Story: Space Mission action figures ($10) and playset ($50).
The short features a voice-over from a young boy as he plays with his new Woody and Rex Space Mission suits and even features “a slick new look for Buzz too!” This is the kind of fan service marketing that makes me want to buy a toy, the same kind that I remember so fondly from Mattel back in the 80s with Masters of the Universe.
Check out some of these fun facts Mattel also released:
- It took a crew of 8 people over more than 1300 hours and a span of 4 weeks to complete the toymation
- Every second needed 12 frames of pictures
- Every shot needed at least 3 takes, many of which had to be done separately with each toy and then composited together later
- Each toy had to be taken apart and reassembled with wire and museum putty in order to be rigged properly to animate
- The dust bunnies were created from an old carpet the team almost threw out right before production on the toymation project began
- The crew made 5 trips to the supermarket to clear out their asparagus, big broccoli heads, and artichokes to build the vegetable forest set
(via Pixar Times)